The Family Counseling Program
- The family counseling centers are staffed with professional counselors holding Masters Degrees or higher in counseling, social work or psychology with extensive experience in individual, group and family counseling.
- Counseling: Short-term individual, family, and group counseling, addressing a variety of problem areas, is offered.
Substance Abuse Prevention
- A specialized prevention program for parents and youngsters "at risk."
- Individual appointments for daytime and evening counseling can be arranged by contacting the Family Counseling Center in your area.
- Recognizing that the skills necessary for parenting can be learned, special topic groups are offered including Behavior Management, Effective Parenting and Communication in the family.
Who is Eligible?
- Services are available to any family which resides in Broward County and has a school-aged child enrolled in school.
- Contact your nearest Family Counseling Center, or for further information call: 754-321-1590
- All Services are Private, Confidential, Free of Charge
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
THE FAMILY COUNSELING CENTER
The Family Counseling Center is located in room 106 on the main office of Coral Glades High School. Operating hours are: 11:00 am to -6:00 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Wednesday and Thursday from: 12:00 to 7:00 pm
WHAT IS THE FAMILY COUNSELING CENTER?
The Family Counseling Center at Coral Glades High School offers free and confidential short-term family counseling to the families of any Broward County student. All Coral Glades High School Innovation Zone students and their parents are eligible.
HOW CAN THE FAMILY COUNSELING CENTER HELP MY CHILD?
There are a variety of benefits to family counseling. Family conflicts can be resolved lowering stress within the family and individual issues can be addressed, which may be causing a child to have emotional and /or behavioral problems. Consequently, there are less suspensions, referrals, and removal from the classroom.
Family Counseling works together successfully to overcome many of the obstacles that interfere with school achievement and positive family life. Family counseling typically leads to better family communication, improved academics, discipline and behavior, and enhanced self-esteem and interpersonal skills.
WHO DOES THE COUNSELING?
The family counselor for the Coral Glades Zone is Mabel Thackeray, a Licensed Mental Health Counselor, Clinical Psychologist and Certified Guidance Counselor. Counseling services are available in Spanish.
ARE COUNSELING SERVICES CONFIDENTIAL?
Services are fully confidential within the limits of the law. The child’s school is not notified and teachers are not contacted without the written permission of the parent.
WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
Any Guidance Counselor, or Administrator can tell you more about the program or you can call Coral Glades High School and speak to Mabel Thackeray, LMHC. 754-322-1262
HOW DO I ARRANGE AN INITIAL APPOINTMENT?
Parents can schedule an initial appointment by calling the Intake Secretary at 754-321-1590. You can also email me at:
Contact: Mabel Thackeray. LMHC
- Application For Service
- Family Counseling Information Sheet
- Family Counseling Bill of Rights/Grievance Procedure
- Family Counseling HIPAA Notice
- Family Counseling Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Apollo Middle School
Coconut Creek High School
Cooper City High School
Coral Glades High School
Coral Springs High School
Crystal Lake Community Middle School
Deerfield Beach High School
Everglades High School
Ft. Lauderdale High School
Hallandale High School
Hollywood Hills High
Indian Trace Elementary
Miramar High School
Monarch High School
New River Middle School
Northeast High School
Piper High School
Plantation High School
South Broward High School
South Plantation High School
Stoneman Douglas High School
Taravella High School
W.C. Young Middle School
Western High School